June 28: Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife are assassinated in Sarajevo
July 28th to August 6: Austria-Hungary, Russia, Germany, France, (formerly neutral) Belgium, and Britain declare war on each other, with the Allies: France, Belgium, Britain, Russia opposing Germany and Austria-Hungary.
- August 3: Germany invades Belgium.
August 22: “The Battle of the Frontiers” (Western Front)
August 26-30: “The Battle of Tennenberg (Eastern Front)
Sept 5-10: First Battle of the Marne
Sept. 15: First trenches of Western Front dug.
- Oct. 15: Multi-Organization fundraiser held at Hill Auditorium for American Red Cross.
- Nov. 29: Church of Christ turns into clothing factory for European Sufferers.
- Dec 1: National Security League (NSL) founded.
- Dec. 2: Students and Ann Arbor citizens secure 1,000 suits to send to Belgium.
Dec 25: Unofficial “Christmas Truce” declared by soldiers in the trenches along the Western Front.